Photographing the heather
04th August 2016
It's that time of year again... the heather is in bloom, the colour is returning to the landscape and I find myself with a bit of free time. So I've decided to run a few last minute days of tuition... whether in the Peak District, Dales or North York Moors - if you're interested, get in touch.
The options include:
- Peak District - Millstone Edge, Higger Tor, Curbar Edge, Kinder Scout, Baslow Edge & Over Owler Tor.
- Yorkshire Dales - Embsay Crag, Moughton Scar, Beamsley Beacon, Ilkley Moor, Healaugh Crag, High Crag & Calver Hill.
- North York Moors - Roseberry Topping, Cockshaw Hill, Sutton Bank & the Yorkshire Coast.
Due to the last minute nature of these workshops I'll be running them at the discounted rate of just £75 for an individual, £130 for two or £180 for 3+ as a group booking. For available dates, see below.
Current free dates include the following, and if you're the only one to book then you get a 1-1 for no extra cost!..
- August: Sun 14th, Mon 15th, Tues 16th, Wed 17th, Sun 21st (Peak District), Mon 22nd, Tues 23rd, Weds 24th, Fri 26th, Sat 27th, Sun 28th & Mon 29th.
- September: Fri 2nd, Sun 4th, Mon 5th-Sun 18th inclusive.
The workshops will be roughly 4hrs long, depending on conditions on the day, and often up to 5hrs. We will usually visit 2-3 different locations on each trip but this varies depending on how the heather is looking at various spots - and if the weather doesn't behave we may well end up exploring a few waterfalls instead.
As the writer of a guide to the Yorkshire Dales and photography partner of Visit Peak District, there are few people who know these places better - so you'll be in safe hands wherever you choose to have your evening out.
If you're interested in joining me on any of the dates listed, then just drop me a message with your preferred dates and any questions you may have using the 'Book Now' link below.
- DSLR or compact camera which allows manual settings.
- Food & drink.
- Waterproof clothing, decent walking boots and plenty of warm layers.
- Waterproofing for your camera - even if this is just a sandwich bag!
- Polarising filter - very useful for the water photography. Highly recommended.
- Headtorch/torch. If there's a good afterglow we may be out late. Get in touch if you don't have a headtorch and I'll recommend some.
- ND filter (screw on or not).
- Spare batteries and memory cards.
- Selection of lenses (covering 17-200mm).
- Cable release.
Workshops are rarely cancelled - only in the most extreme of weather might this happen and refunds/rearranged dates will be available - but if you need cancel, refunds will be available on the following basis:
- More than 4 weeks beforehand - 50% of the total cost refunded.
- 2-4 weeks beforehand - 25% of the total cost refunded.
- Less than 2 weeks before the workshop - no refund.
- If you'd like to rearrange, this may be possible depending on future bookings, but is far from guaranteed. Contact us as soon as possible if this might be necessary and we'll do our best to sort it out - but we reserve the right to withhold your refund on the conditions laid out above.