Peak District: Eastern Moors
09th November 2015
Learn to photograph the Peak District with landscape photographer and official photography partner of Visit Peak District - Mat Robinson. With years of experience in photography and 5 years experience of teaching groups of various sizes - you couldn't be in better hands.
With this workshop being run just outside Sheffield - it's accessible for all and includes a little less uphill walking than some others. We will cover some very well known locations, including some of the following: Millstone Edge, Higger Tor, Over Owler Tor, the Burbage Valley, Froggatt and Curbar Edges, Wyming Brook, Derwent Edge, Stanage Edge and Carhead Rocks. These workshops will be half day workshops with the option of additional tuition on the processing of the images - something many find useful as understanding layers and layer masks is a key part of my workflow.
Places will be limited to 3 people per workshop and will be aimed primarily at beginners - those wanting to get to grips with their camera and explore the Peak whilst they're at it - and those with a little more experience who would like some input on improving their composition and eye for an image. The workshops will be roughly 4-5 hours long, dependent on conditions, and will involve some walking - but shouldn't be too strenuous.
The cost for the workshop alone will be £100 but you're welcome to book the additional processing tutorial for a total of £120. The secondary tutorial can be taken from the comfort of your own home via Skype in the following days - and can be very useful in terms of understanding merging photos and exposures to get the best out of the photos you take on the day. Group discounts may be available too, contact me to find out.
The eastern regions of the Peak District can be a photographer's paradise - with all of the grit stone drama of some of the higher reaches but without the effort required to reach them. The locations may be popular but the aim will be to demonstrate that a balance can be found between shooting the famous compositions and finding your own, new ones. Shooting the same composition as a million others doesn't have to mean failure, the aim can just be to do it better than ever before... and conditions are never the same on two different days. But alongside this, we'll certainly be working on creating something new from these well known views.
You will be responsible for bringing your own lunch/snacks/drinks and insurance is not provided. If the weather is particularly bad then more time may be spent by Padley Gorge or Wyming Brook, in which case we may have to be more adventurous on some potentially muddy slopes, but hopefully this will be avoided. I may even take you to a secret waterfall, which I believe I'm the only person to have photographed... if I'm feeling generous.
If you'd like to book your workshop just drop me a message with your preferred date and I'll organise payment. Gift vouchers are available and come with a free greetings card.
Sat 29th Jul 2017
If you're looking for somewhere to stay in order to explore the Peak District around these workshops - then do take a look at the Old Hall Inn... ideally located to explore the best the Peak District has to offer.
- DSLR or compact camera which allows manual settings.
- Food & drink.
- Waterproof clothing, decent walking boots and plenty of warm layers.
- Waterproofing for your camera - even if this is just a sandwich bag!
- Polarising filter - very useful for the water photography. Highly recommended.
- Headtorch/torch. If there's a good afterglow we may be out late. Get in touch if you don't have a headtorch and I'll recommend some.
- ND filter (screw on or not).
- Spare batteries and memory cards.
- Selection of lenses (covering 17-200mm).
- Cable release.
Workshops are rarely cancelled - only in the most extreme of weather might this happen and refunds/rearranged dates will be available - but if you need cancel, refunds will be available on the following basis:
- More than 4 weeks beforehand - 50% of the total cost refunded.
- 2-4 weeks beforehand - 25% of the total cost refunded.
- Less than 2 weeks before the workshop - no refund.
- If you'd like to rearrange, this may be possible depending on future bookings, but is far from guaranteed. Contact us as soon as possible if this might be necessary and we'll do our best to sort it out - but we reserve the right to withhold your refund on the conditions laid out above.