Autumn in the Peak - Photography Workshop
01st September 2016
Learn to photograph the Peak District with landscape photographer and official photography partner of Visit Peak District - Mat Robinson. With years of experience in photography and 5 years experience of teaching groups of various sizes - you couldn't be in better hands.
With the autumn splendour of the Peak District fast approaching, it seems apt to add a new workshop to coincide with the turning of the leaves. Based just outside Sheffield, we will cover some well known locations including Padley Gorge, Millstone Edge and Higger Tor. There will be two half day workshops - Saturday the 21st Oct and Saturday the 4th Nov - which should be timed to perfectly capture the autumn colour at its best.
Places will be limited to 4 people per workshop and will be aimed at both beginners - those wanting to get to grips with their camera and explore the Peak whilst they're at it - and those with a little more experience who would like some input on improving their composition and eye for an image. The workshops will be roughly 5 hours long, dependent on conditions, and will involve some walking - beginning in the early afternoon and ending just after sunset.
The cost for the workshop alone will be £100 but you're welcome to book an additional hour's time for a processing tutorial for a total of £120. The secondary tutorial can be taken from the comfort of your own home via Skype in the following days - and can be very useful in terms of understanding merging photos and exposures to get the best out of the photos you take on the day.
If you would prefer a different date, perhaps a weekday, get in touch and I'd be happy to put on additional dates around these times. Group bookings are also welcome, both on and around these dates, with discounts available.
Whether you're interested in trees (the silver birch are wonderful at this time of year), learning to expose moving water or photographing the grand vista with a (hopefully) beautiful sunset - this workshop is for you. Numbers are limited to 4 to ensure that I have plenty of time to spend with each individual alongside giving general tuition to the group. We begin the workshop at the top of Padley Gorge and shoot a mixture of some well known scenes and some more complicated woodland views - before continuing back up the valley towards Millstone Edge and Over Owler Tor. Here we are free to shoot both the view out up the Hope Valley and the more autumnal woodland views alongside the colourful bracken. If time permits, we will then venture up to the ever popular Higger Tor - although this depends on the conditions. In less favourable light, it is often much more productive to remain lower down.
The walking shall be mainly over well trodden paths, but does include a certain amount of ascent - so reasonable fitness is required. You will be responsible for bringing your own lunch, snacks & drinks. If the weather is particularly bad then more time may be spent by Padley Gorge in which case we may have to be more adventurous on some potentially muddy slopes, but hopefully this will be avoided.
If you'd like to book your workshop just drop me a message with your preferred date and I'll organise payment. Gift vouchers are available and come with a free greetings card.
- DSLR or compact camera which allows manual settings.
- Food & drink.
- Waterproof clothing, decent walking boots and plenty of warm layers.
- Waterproofing for your camera - even if this is just a sandwich bag!
- Polarising filter - very useful for the water photography. Highly recommended.
- Headtorch/torch. If there's a good afterglow we may be out late. Get in touch if you don't have a headtorch and I'll recommend some.
- ND filter (screw on or not).
- Spare batteries and memory cards.
- Selection of lenses (covering 17-200mm).
- Cable release.
Workshops are rarely cancelled - only in the most extreme of weather might this happen and refunds/rearranged dates will be available - but if you need cancel, refunds will be available on the following basis:
- More than 4 weeks beforehand - 50% of the total cost refunded.
- 2-4 weeks beforehand - 25% of the total cost refunded.
- Less than 2 weeks before the workshop - no refund.
- If you'd like to rearrange, this may be possible depending on future bookings, but is far from guaranteed. Contact us as soon as possible if this might be necessary and we'll do our best to sort it out - but we reserve the right to withhold your refund on the conditions laid out above.